Late Nights, Early Mornings Playlist
1. Lights On - H.E.R | This mysterious artist recently dropped her second album. I really loved her first album and this album is more of the same sultry and sexy songs against hot beats. From the first play, I was feeling this song and this is why it's my number 1 on this week's playlist.
2. Grey - Letoya Luckett (feat. Ludacris) | I love me some Letoya Luckett. She is underrated but has a beautiful voice and I've been feeling this album for a minute. I also like 'In the Name' but I digress. This song has a dope beat and an even hotter message. So many times folks, "settle" for subpar when it comes to their relationship and the message of this song is so simple, "know what you want" and let that be your guide.
3. Feels - Calvin Harris, Pharrell Williams, Katy Perry, Big Sean | I was going to put another Calvin Harris' song on the list, Slide, but one of my friends put me on to this one, and I love it so much more. I was always a big Neptunes and Pharrell fan. Love this collabo, the beat is catchy and the chorus definitely had me nodding upon first listen. Plus once again, the vibe captures "summer bunny" vibes perfectly. You know how it is when you "catch feelings" for someone. Don't be scurred!
4. The Story of OJ - Jay-Z | EXPLICIT LYRIC WARNING | Well I just love me some Jay-Z. Not sure if it's a New York thing or an admiration for a truly dope success story. Either way, as we all know by now, Jay-Z is dropping grown man knowledge and epic wordplays on this entire album. I mentioned this piece about OJ feeling he superseded race in my essay in that amazing documentary. In this song, Jay is waxing poetic about the importance of financial freedom in the Black community. Remember some these same principles were discussed in my last interview and I think it's phenomenal that he's rapping about it and not encouraging folks to buy ridiculous things they really can't afford. Lastly, he sampled Nina Simone's Four Women, which has a special place in my heart due to three of my college friends acting it out in our college room one day. For enlightenment this summer, the entire Jay-Z album but give a real good listen to this song:)
5. Summer Bummer - Lana Del Ray ft. A$AP Rocky, Playboi Carti | EXPLICIT LYRIC WARNING | I've always like Lana Del Ray's voice. It's sort of reminds me of Lina and this song is definitely one of those more edgy summer love songs, hence the name. It's easy listening.
6. Playa No Mo - Lina | This is a super old song but since Lana Del Ray reminded of her, I had to throw this on the list. I just love her voice and old school, old Hollywood vibe. The mix in this song was and has always been underrated. Also, when this came out, I was very single and I guess the lyrics resonated with a few of my "situationships".
Drop me a line and let me know if you are feeling any of these and/or what you feel should be shared on the next list. It really makes my day to hear from you.
Photography by Kait Ebinger